Teaching Yoga for Cancer: Half Day Workshop
Date: Wed 22 September
Time: 1030-1400 BST (UK Time)
Venue: Online via Zoom
Cost: Early Booking £55 (Full Price £65)
“This was.. thought-provoking, challenging and very informative... I would recommend it for all yoga teaching professionals. Jenni has a wealth of experience in this area and delivered a very well-structured event that kept the group engaged the whole time.” Jackie Childs
- You know someone with cancer and want to be able to help them
- You have existing students who have been diagnosed and you want to feel better equipped to continue to teach them safely
- This is an area you would like to train in depth as a specialist yoga teacher
- You are a cancer specialist looking to offer yoga practices to your patients
- You would like to learn more about what other ways we can support people with cancer
- You are looking for a new challenge
This workshop is designed for teachers who wish to work with those affected by cancer and for therapists and cancer professionals who wish to offer some yoga practices to their clients. This 3.5 hour CPD workshop will give you practical skills so you can work confidently and safely with people affected by cancer.
There will be a good mix of theory, discussion, Q&A and practical teaching experience so that at the end of the workshop you will be able to:
- Assess whether you are able to teach someone safely within a general class setting
- Communicate effectively and sensitively with cancer patients
- Create a lesson plan for one-to-one sessions and/or home practise
- Build a network and resources to support yourself and people living with cancer
So why join this workshop?
- You can find out if cancer is the right area for you to be working in - It is very rewarding but also challenging and is not necessarily for everyone
- You will have a better understanding of what cancer is and how treatments affect people
- You will come away with practices that you can safely share
- You will learn through a combination of theory and practice yoga tools you can use with students experiencing cancer
“Thank you Jenny, the yoga for cancer workshop was a really helpful introduction on being able to provide a safe and nurturing space for people with cancer. A good combination of theory and practice. Your follow up notes and course details were also of high quality and very useful.” - Karen Noon
About the facilitator:
I am a professional yoga teacher reflexologist, qualifying with the Central London School of reflexology in 2001 with Michael and Louise Keet and with British Wheel of Yoga in 2007. In the years since I have continued to gain additional training including an oncology diploma with the Middlesex School of Complementary Medicine. I spent 2 years working in the North London Hospice and then several years at Cancerkin offering reflexology for cancer patients. I have been teaching yoga for cancer at Maggie's Royal Free for the last 8 years and have a private practise where I offer both reflexology and one to one yoga with people with cancer.
I started my yoga journey way back in the 90’s after a trip to India. Upon my return I sought out a local yoga class in London and ever since then, yoga has been the constant thread that runs through my life. Yoga is something that I return to to maintain my physical, mental and emotional health. It has helped me through all life’s challenges, birth, death, love and loss. Yoga is such a powerful tool. I have subsequently trained with many other teachers including Peter Blackaby, John Stirk and Uma-Dinsmore Tuli all of whom have informed the way I teach yoga to those with cancer.
My other big passion is women’s health and empowerment and I bring this knowledge to my work with women who have cancer.
You can find out more about me on www.jennitherapy.com
Here Jenni shares her blog about how to support someone who is living with cancer: