Surya Namaskar: Understanding the Stories & Traditions of The Sun Salutation
Understanding The Stories & Traditions of The Sun Salutation
Date: Wed 26 Jan
Time: 1230-1430 GMT (UK Time)
Venue: Online via Zoom
This training can be used for 2 hour CPD training recognised by Yoga Alliance CE and British Wheel of Yoga.
To see the extensive range of CPDs we have designed to give you practical tools that can further develop your teaching practice, please click here.
Can we support you in choosing your course?
If you are unsure about your suitability for this course, or if you have any queries please let us know at email@example.com
Policies & Procedures For the full course policies and terms & conditions please click here.
When you practice the Surya Namaskar (sun salutation) has it become or always been a series of shapes? Would you love for it to feel like a friendship, bringing together sound, stories and movement? For Indie this is what it has always been.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How the asana sequence in the sun salutation relates to physical and mental wellbeing
- About the importance of the sun in yoga and Ayurvada
- How the Surya Namaskar fits into the history of yoga asana tradition
- The connection between the Surya Namaskar and the fire element
- About the story of Hanuman and how that connects to this yoga sequence
- How you can weave in a deeper understanding of South Asian culture and traditions into your own teaching and practice
By the end of this workshop you will:
- Have a deeper and well rounded understanding of Surya Namaskar
- An appreciation of the wider role of the sun in yoga, spiritual practice and cyclical wisdom
- An increased love and respect for the stories and traditions behind this well known and loved practice
This training will involve yoga practice so please do wear comfortable clothes.
If you are unable to attend live this event will be recorded for all attendees.
This training is eligible for CPD & CE Certification.
Testimonial from a participant in the BYF Yoga for Women of Colour Class
“Indie is an extremely mindful and creative guide. This class has been a breath of fresh air compared to my experiences of yoga over the years.” - Scarlett
About the facilitator:
I’m a yoga guide with a focus on rest, intentional movement and breath, especially for racialised and minoritised communities. I teach in a way that invites curiosity, reflection and a space to allow whatever comes up to be felt. Movement should be felt in our own bodies and in a way that feels good to us, so you won’t find any complex shapes or contortions here! The practice of Yoga and it's roots have been far removed in the West. Seen as a fitness tool, it brings with it all the expectations of body image and the limitations of how movement is taught. This practice is spiritual, it is about unity and liberation. It’s a way of life and living that goes far beyond movement on a mat. My intention and continual work is to share it in all its authentic glory as part of my ongoing journey to reclaim ancestral practices like Yoga and Ayurveda. I believe these ancient sciences hold importance even in the lives we lead now.