Yoga Therapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid: Part 2
Live training with Fiona Agombar & Sarah Ryan - all sessions will also be recorded.
Dates: The final live session takes place on May 26th
Time: 1200-1330 BST (UK Time)
You can also choose to watch recordings and interact with Fiona and Sarah via the online portal.
You will be sent booking confirmation on payment with registration details - please register using the url provided on booking to access the training.
Now that the live course has taken place you can use the link above to have access to all course material and recordings.
If you have not yet booked Part 1 you can do so here:
Praise for Fiona & Sarah's training "Yoga Therapy for Chronic Fatigue, Burnout & Long Covid" with YTF:
"...it was perfect pace and love this way of learning"
Samantha Patchell, Attendee March 2021
"A very enjoyable and informative course. I learned a lot and found it really interesting. I will definitely be able to use the knowledge and techniques for myself and for clients."
Emma Taylor, Attendee March 2021
I have loved every minute of the Yoga Therapy for CFS, Burnout & Long Covid course. The information delivered was incredibly good, providing a really good basis of understanding of the topic. The two tutors of Fiona and Sarah were incredible. Their delivery, pace and wealth of knowledge in this area is spot on. Each session went incredibly quickly and I feel well equipped to help my students who are suffering from CFS as well as those to come who may be showing signs of burnout and stress.
Karen Wilson, Attendee March 2021
"For anyone wanting to work with those living with /suffering from CFS/ME, Long Covid or Burnout this course is such a great grounding. It points you to further information and includes up to date research. I love that accessible strategies are suggested and an individual approach and that the work can be used for others suffering from exhaustion./ needing to recover, such as those living with cancer. Reinforcing the need for rest, recuperation, self compassion and listening to your internal cues about what your body wants and needs."
A.C. Attendee "Yoga Therapy for CFS, Burnout & Long Covid Part 1
This CPD training is accessible for everyone who has completed the Introductory course with Fiona and Sarah. (The recordings are still available you can purchase part one here). In Part Two, you will discover more ways to harness energy for fatigue conditions such as exhaustion, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid, together with a deeper understanding of the tools of yoga therapy and their application to healing. In this course we look deeper into such topics as the chakras as energy centres, Long Covid and the breath, polyvagal theory and the role of the teacher in co-regulation. ALL SESSIONS WILL TAKE PLACE LIVE AND BE RECORDED
In addition to the 5 live Thursday sessions (which will also be recorded for future reference) you will also have access to 8 live classes where you will see Fiona putting the content of the course into practice on Mondays 1100-1200 BST and Wednesdays 1800-1900 BST
Every session will conclude with a practice so please do wear comfortable clothes and be in an appropriate space for practice.
Session One : A deeper dive into Prana and the relationship to breath and our energy.
- Slow and low and pauses after the exhale
- An update on Long Covid, symptoms and the breath
- The breath – more teaching tools on how we teach for those with Long Covid and extreme fatigue states – less is more.
- Coming out of the hyperventilation pattern and what this looks like
- Nitric Oxide – how we can increase it, what it does.
- How we decrease inflammation
- The role of pronation in movement and breath for Long Covid
- Offering choices
- The five prānas – the great vayus – revision
- The importance of working with apāna in fatigue states – revision
- Understanding prana, samāna, udāna and vyāna and their relationship to energy flow and an example of each
- What can help and what can harm regarding the breath
- Practice with Fiona/Sarah
Session Two: How stress manifests in the student – breath, body, mind, speech
- The pandemic and the effects on our nervous system
- Fear, the pandemic and fatigue
- The pandemic and mental health
- The purusharta model and how we find security
- How we can help our students to find a sense of safety and security
- The importance of micro breaks and pacing (revision and update)
- The importance of the teaching voice and language
- Finding a resource
Session Three: Trauma, co-regulation, fatigue and the yoga teacher with guest Aneta Idczak
- Update on polyvagal theory
- Knowing our baseline – recognising the three states of our nervous system.
- Understanding self-regulation and the importance of co-regulation
- The role of the teacher in co-regulation for the student
- Connection and holding space
- Giving the student agency – ideas on trauma informed yoga
- Interview with Aneta Idczak on what Trauma Informed means when teaching
- Q and A session/ discussion
Session Four: A deeper look at the chakras and fatigue
- A deeper explanation of the main chakras and fatigue
- Fatigue and the importance of the first three chakras
- Practices including nyāsa and bija mantra – showing how nyāsa can increase feelings of safety
Session Five: Yoga Therapy and Fatigue
- Overview of yoga therapy and fatigue
- Definition of yoga therapy
- Definition of yoga
- Kriya yoga
- Tapas and svadhyaya
- Isvara pranidhana and how this relates to health
- Sources of disease according to yoga
- The klesa
- Samyoga, attachment, identity etc.
- The importance of mantra
- The importance of choice in chanting
In addition to the 90 minute live sessions, there is a significant amount of both recorded material and written content. Please allow for a minimum of 3 hours per week for the online content. Attending the live element of the training is recommended and CPD Certification is provided on completion of all elements of the course (you can choose to attend live or watch recordings and Fiona is available to answer your questions throughout the course.
This course is Part 2 of the "Yoga Therapy for CFS, Burnout & Long Covid" training. The first part is available to take in your own time:
Please be aware that although practices shared have been helpful to people experiencing Long Covid this is a relatively new condition and Fiona and Sarah are yoga professionals and not doctors.
About the facilitators:
Fiona Agombar is a yoga therapist and teacher in the Viniyoga Tradition and is accredited as an advanced teacher with the British Wheel of Yoga. She originally trained with the Yoga for Health Foundation in 2001. She has studied under Bill Feeney, Gill Lloyd, Sarah Ryan, TKV Desikachar, his son Dr Kausthub Desikachar and Adyashanti. She specialises in teaching yoga for fatigue conditions, including CFS/ME, burnout, stress and long-Covid. She set up teacher-training modules on stress and fatigue for Yoga Campus, which she ran for several years together with CPD days for the BWY. She was one of the key speakers for Global Yoga Therapy Day in August 2020 on exhaustion, overwhelm and burnout. She now teaches online for those with fatigue and other health conditions and was a speaker in May 2021 at the Wellness After Covid Symposium. Fiona is part of the team led by Westminster University applying for funding for a study into yoga and Long Covid. She is the author of the books Beat Fatigue with Yoga (Cherry Red Books) and Yoga Therapy for Stress, Burnout and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (Singing Dragon). Fiona has Lyme disease which she manages with yoga. She describes herself as a Rest Activist.
Sarah Ryan is a yoga student, teacher, trainer and therapist in the Viniyoga Tradition. She also studies, practises and teaches Vedic Chanting. She has been passionate about yoga for over 50 years, and has been in the VIniyoga tradition since 1987, when she studied with Paul Harvey. In 2005 she asked Kausthub Desikachar to be her teacher. She was fortunate enough to be able to do the first Yoga Therapy course with Kausthub and his father TKV Desikachar, and continues to study with Kausthub. She teaches a class for people with MS, sees people individually for mentoring and teaching, in her home and online, as well as doing weekly online meditations, and teaching the beautiful ideas behind yoga practice to groups.