"I not only learned about Cancer and all that goes with it, I also learned a lot about me and how to self care as a teacher"
Suzie Povey, Cancer Training Course Graduate
50 hours Further Training Course accredited for CPD
(includes 28 contact hours and home practice assignments)
80% live attendance required.
Dates: Mon 25 Sept - 20 Nov (25 Oct integration week)
Time: 1000-1300 BST (UK Time) moving to GMT in November
Venue: Online via Zoom
"I love this course, it really helped me to get started on this teaching that I have been meaning to do for a long time"
Eva Sacchi Hunter, Yoga for Cancer Training Course Graduate
"Jenni ensures that every single person's voice is heard & their questions are answered. Thank you, thank you thank you!"
Brownwen Kelly, Yoga for Cancer Training Course Graduate
"I loved how the homework has been practical, building us all up with a powerful tool kit to move forward with"
Toni Aspinall, Yoga for Cancer Training Course Graduate
Although all sessions will be recorded for participants the course is experiential, interactive and the recordings are for you to be able to go back and use it for revision purposes.
Are you concerned about your ability to teach people who are undergoing cancer treatment? Would you like to know who it is safe to teach in your general classes and who requires more specialist teaching? Would you like to teach yoga in a setting specifically created for people with cancer? If your answer is YES to any of these questions this course has been created for you.
This 9 week CPD training will give you practical skills you can take awe with you to confidently and safely work with people affected by cancer. There will be a good mix of theory, discussion Q&A and practical teaching experience so that by the end of the training you will be able to:
- Communicate effectively and sensitively with cancer patients
- Assess whether you are able to teach someone safely
- Have the knowledge to integrate someone living with cancer in your class
- Create lesson plans for one-to-one sessions, home practice & group classes
- Build a network and resources to support yourself and people living with cancer
Small group sessions to allow for personalised support.
On Completion of the Course you will receiver your Teaching Yoga for Cancer Certification. 80% Live participation required.
*In order to receive your certification you will be required to attend 80% of all sessions and complete all the home practice required.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- It is a 9 week online programme with 3 hour live teaching sessions every week.
- All zoom teaching sessions are recorded
- You will need to allocate time for home practice each week
- You will be offered the option to work with a listening partner to support your progress
- You will design your own teaching plan for Yoga for Cancer classes
- All course content will be contained on a private online learning platform which will act as course manual for you to keep.
- There will be a one month group mentoring and teaching support programme at the end of the course available live or on catch-up.
- Week 1 - Understanding Cancer and Medical Treatments
- Week 2 - Communication Skills, Boundaries & Ethics
- Week 3 - Stress, Trauma & Fatigue
- Week 4 - Lesson Planning: Asana Practice & Breathing
- Week 5 - Integration/Reading Week (no live zoom session)
- Week 6 - Lesson Planning: Restorative Yoga & Other Practises
- Week 7 - Live teaching practise
- Week 8 - Support Networks, Resources and Creating Your Own Series of Yoga for Cancer Classes
- Week 9 – Integration, finding work, extended Q&A
- One month mentoring and teaching support programme (4 hours)
- Every week includes a live group yoga for cancer session for you to experience and learn from.
* this certification will give you the skills you need to teach yoga in a cancer setting, one to one, and in a group class.To see the extensive range of CPDs we have designed to give you practical tools that can further develop your teaching practice, please click here.
Can we support you in choosing your course?
If you are unsure about your suitability for this course, or if you have any queries please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Policies & Procedures For the full course policies and terms & conditions please click here.
About the facilitator:
I am the Yoga for Cancer specialist at YTF running the in depth training, online short course, essentials half day workshop and breast cancer and cancer induced menopause specialist modules.
I am a professional yoga teacher reflexologist, qualifying with the Central London School of reflexology in 2001 with Michael and Louise Keet and with British Wheel of Yoga in 2007. In the years since I have continued to gain additional training including an oncology diploma with the Middlesex School of Complementary Medicine. I spent 2 years working in the North London Hospice and then several years at Cancerkin offering reflexology for cancer patients. I have been teaching yoga for cancer at Maggie's Royal Free for the last 8 years and have a private practise where I offer both reflexology and one to one yoga with people with cancer.
I started my yoga journey way back in the 90’s after a trip to India. Upon my return I sought out a local yoga class in London and ever since then, yoga has been the constant thread that runs through my life. Yoga is something that I return to to maintain my physical, mental and emotional health. It has helped me through all life’s challenges, birth, death, love and loss. Yoga is such a powerful tool. I have subsequently trained with many other teachers including Peter Blackaby, John Stirk and Uma-Dinsmore Tuli all of whom have informed the way I teach yoga to those with cancer.
My other big passion is women’s health and empowerment and I bring this knowledge to my work with women who have cancer.
You can find out more about me on www.jennitherapy.com
Here Jenni shares her blog about how to support someone who is living with cancer: