Teaching Yoga for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid: An Introduction
"I really enjoyed this course. the presentations were very informative. The content was delivered with ease and in very understandable manner. There was a good mixture of practical, theory and practice. Topics were explained in a personal way, which made concepts easier to follow and understand." R.P. Attendee Yoga Therapy for CFS, Burn Out & Long Covid 4 Week Recorded Online Course
In this CPD training you will discover unique ways to harness energy for fatigue conditions such as exhaustion, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid with the help of yoga therapy. You will be guided through yoga practices Fiona has developed over a career supporting people with CFS.
Prana and its relationship to yoga and our energy.
- The five prānas
- The importance of working with apāna in fatigue states
- Granthis (restrictions) that can cause health problems. (obstacles that can stop prāna flowing)
- Examples of personal granthis
- A brief overview of the panca maya (kosha)
- Breath work and pranayama examples for helping fatigue and softening granthis
- Using a bhavana in relation to prāna
The Cakras and Fatigue
- The çakras and fatigue
- Fatigue and the çakras – mooladhara çakra
- The importance of creating a safe space
- Teaching somatically
- Practice with Fiona including nyāsa
The Nervous System
- How society views fatigue – the problems of the patriarchy
- Definitions of fatigue including burnout and ME/CFS. Are there differences with Long-Covid?
- Symptoms and how these are relevant to yoga.
- The various models of stress
- The rational v emotional brain
- Polyvagal theory
- The mitochondria
- Avoiding the push-crash pattern and dealing with relapse.
- How fatigue affects a yoga practice
- The importance of micro breaks and pacing
- The role of trauma in chronic fatigue and how this affects teaching
- Finding a resource
- Practice with Sarah
Long Covid Focus
- Samskara and our shadow side
- Facing our emotions and not disassociating – self-inquiry
- Self-compassion, people pleasing and boundaries.
- The major tools of yoga therapy including nyāsa, pranayama , deep relaxation and mantra
- Welcoming fatigue and symptoms with acceptance as an opportunity for self-inquiry and spiritual investigation.
- Practice with Fiona
In each week you will have the opportunity to take part in yoga practice and there will be space for questions.
It will be extremely useful for both this course and your teaching if you can read my book Yoga Therapy for Stress, Burnout and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. If you order it from the publisher Singing Dragon I’ve arranged a 20 per cent discount until the end of May for everyone in this course with the code: BURNOUT20
"This is an excellent course that delivers a perfect mix of talk and practice in a very knowledgable and compassionate way. Fiona and Sarah have so much experience and knowledge to share that is so valuable when recovering from, or working with people experiencing any kind of fatigue." Lynda Butler-Staples, Attendee, Yoga Therapy for CFS, Burn Out & Long Covid 4 Week Recorded Online Course
You will have the opportunity to have your specific questions addressed each week by Fiona Agombar.
About the facilitator - Fiona Agombar
Fiona Agombar is a yoga therapist and teacher in the Krishnamacharya Tradition and is accredited as an advanced teacher with the British Wheel of Yoga. She originally trained with the Yoga for Health Foundation in 2001. She has studied under Bill Feeney, Gill Lloyd, Sarah Ryan, TKV Desikachar, his son Dr Kausthub Desikachar and Adyashanti. She specialises in teaching yoga for fatigue conditions, including CFS/ME, burnout, stress and long-Covid. She set up teacher-training modules on stress and fatigue for Yoga Campus, which she ran for several years together with CPD days for the BWY. She was one of the key speakers for Global Yoga Therapy Day in August 2020 on exhaustion, overwhelm and burnout. She now teaches online for those with fatigue and other health conditions. Fiona is the author of the books Beat Fatigue with Yoga (Cherry Red Books) and Yoga Therapy for Stress, Burnout and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (Singing Dragon). Fiona has Lyme disease which she manages with yoga.
Fiona is joined in this training by Sarah Ryan