Teaching Yoga for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid: An Introduction
Dates: Friday 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th March 2021
Time: 1130-1300 UK Time
WAITING LIST ONLY
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waiting list.
Praise for Fiona's work with CFS:
"A highly engaging and vital text for yoga therapists"
Heather Mason, Founder, Yoga in Health Care Alliance
In this CPD training you will discover unique ways to harness energy for fatigue conditions such as exhaustion, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Burnout & Long Covid with the help of yoga therapy. You will be guided through yoga practices Fiona has developed over a career supporting people with CFS.
Session One 5th March
- How society views fatigue – the problems of the patriarchy
- Definitions of fatigue including burnout and ME/CFS. Are there differences with Long-Covid?
- The various models of stress
- The rational v emotional brain
- Polyvagal theory
- The mitochondria
Session Two 12th March
- What makes the Type A personality? Discussion
- Samskaras and our shadow side. Homework/self-investigation
- Symptoms of chronic fatigue diseases and how this affects a yoga practice
- The role of trauma in chronic fatigue and how this affects teaching
- Finding a resource
- Self-compassion, people pleasing and boundaries. Discussion
- The use of mantra in healing
Session Three 19th March
- The five prānas
- The importance of working with apāna in fatigue states
- A brief overview of the panca maya (kosha)
- Granthis (restrictions) that can cause health problems. Homework: Looking at personal granthis.
- Breath work and pranayama for helping fatigue and softening granthis
- Using a bhavana in relation to prāna
- The importance of micro breaks and pacing
Session Four 26th March
- The çakras and fatigue
- Creating a safe space
- Teaching somatically
- Self-touch and Nyasa
- Deep relaxation
- The major tools of yoga therapy
- Welcoming fatigue and symptoms with acceptance as an opportunity for self-inquiry and spiritual investigation. Discussion
In each session you will have the opportunity to take part in yoga practice and there will be space for questions.
About the facilitator - Fiona Agombar
Fiona Agombar is a yoga therapist and teacher in the Krishnamacharya Tradition and is accredited as an advanced teacher with the British Wheel of Yoga. She originally trained with the Yoga for Health Foundation in 2001. She has studied under Bill Feeney, Gill Lloyd, Sarah Ryan, TKV Desikachar, his son Dr Kausthub Desikachar and Adyashanti. She specialises in teaching yoga for fatigue conditions, including CFS/ME, burnout, stress and long-Covid. She set up teacher-training modules on stress and fatigue for Yoga Campus, which she ran for several years together with CPD days for the BWY. She was one of the key speakers for Global Yoga Therapy Day in August 2020 on exhaustion, overwhelm and burnout. She now teaches online for those with fatigue and other health conditions. Fiona is the author of the books Beat Fatigue with Yoga (Cherry Red Books) and Yoga Therapy for Stress, Burnout and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, (Singing Dragon). Fiona has Lyme disease which she manages with yoga.